How to become a driving instructor
Start a new career from just £1095!
Train intensively to become a driving instructor as soon as possible, with the opportunity to earn £1,000+ a week while you learn.
Read more below
How to become a driving instructor: 3 simple steps
There are 3 simple steps between you and becoming a driving instructor. You’ll need to meet these requirements for becoming a driving instructor before you’ll be allowed to get behind the wheel and teach people.
- 1. Apply with DVSA & Pre-checks
- Over the age of 21?
- Less than 6 points on your licence?
- Held a full UK driving licence for 3+ years?
If the answer to these 3 questions is “Yes” – you’re eligible!
Next step? Get a DBS check – (costs just £6) & apply to become a driving instructor – quick online application
The Team at Bill Plant Driving School will provide you full guidance on your application to become a driving instructor
- 2. Get Trained with Bill Plant Driving School
- Driving Instructor Training courses are available from just £1095 with a range of choices available to suit your requirements. Did you know that the UK is experiencing unprecedented demand for driving instructors and you can earn money while completing your training with us?
For all course options, you’ll have the option to take on a Trainee (PDI) Licence, where you’ll be able to earn £1,100+ in weekly driving lesson revenue and get 20 hours of additional FREE Driving Instructor Training. Additionally, by joining us upon qualifying, you’ll receive all your training fees back as franchise credit!
There couldn’t be a better time to train with Bill Plant Driving School, voted the UK’s National Driving School of the Year for 2019-2020! As one of the UK’s largest ORDIT (Official Register of Driving Instructor Training) registered training establishments, we’ve trained thousands of driving instructors since our inception, the next one could be you!
- 3. Pass the 3 Part Curriculum
- Becoming a Driving Instructor simply requires you to pass 3 core assessments. All our courses will help you prepare for every part of the process to successfully qualify!
- The Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) Part 1 test is comprised of a Theory and Hazard perception test. This assessment includes a multiple-choice section made up of questions on topics such as traffic signs and signals, road procedure and mechanical knowledge, alongside a hazard perception test to finish with just like when you yourself learnt to drive!
- The Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) Part 2 test is made up of a basic eyesight check, several ‘show me, tell me’ vehicle safety questions to check your understanding and finally an assessment of your overall driving ability (which includes both driving independently and testing your ability to undertake specific manoeuvres).
- The Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) Part 3 test involves delivering a real driving lesson to a pupil, under the supervision of a driving examiner. This Instructional Ability Test assesses your competency in terms of lesson planning, risk management and both teaching and learning strategies. To help prepare you for this, once you have completed your Part 3 training, Bill Plant Driving School can sponsor you on a trainee licence, ensuring you gain the vital practical experience you need to ace your final exam, all while earning an income alongside some additional free training!
Why become a Driving Instructor
Becoming a driving instructor is more than just another job! Start your driving instructor training with Bill Plant Driving School and unlock your potential.
Be Your Own Boss
You’re in charge
As a Driving Instructor, you are in complete control of your career and earning potential
Work / Life Balance
Choose your own hours and book lessons that fit around your schedule
High Earnings Potential
Working a full 30-40 hour week, at £30 per hour, will generate you £900-£1200 in weekly driving lesson revenue
Unprecedented demand – we need you!
Now is the best ever time to become a driving instructor. 8 out of 10 Bill Plant Driving School instructors are currently fully booked, with hundreds more reporting extremely busy diaries.
Covid-19 lockdowns backlog
420,000+ driving tests in the backlog and hundreds of thousands of new 17 year olds who were unable to start their driving lessons
Part 1 can be done online!
Start your training straight away with no delays online, from the comfort of your own home
Fast-track your new career
Intensive Driving Instructor training options will get you on the road ASAP to meet the demand and maximise your earnings
Become a Driving Instructor with a Guaranteed Franchise Invitation from Bill Plant Driving School
Frequently Asked Questions
This might sound cliché, but the more you choose to work the more you earn…and being your own boss means you can work as much as you want! Our Driving Instructors will generally earn £30 – £40 per hour, so the earning potential is in excess of £35,000 per annum if you choose to work a 35 hour week. Want to know more? Our guide on how much driving instructors earn can help.
Driving instructor training can take a number of months. The application process and checks can slow things down and your ability to pass the tests can too. Courses can take between 6 to 12 months depending on how quickly you pass each section. For a deeper dive on how long it takes to become a driving instructor, check our guide.
The DVSA allow you as many attempts at Part 1 as you need. Once you have passed your Part 1, you will then have two years to pass both Part 2 and Part 3. You are allowed three attempts at Part 2 and Part 3. If either exam is failed for the third time, then you cannot proceed any further in that instance, and can restart the process once your theory test has expired (2 years after you pass your Part 1 Exam).
While we can’t speak for every driving school, in the last year, 89% of those who completed their training course, who opted for our PDI trainee licence, successfully qualified as Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs).
Absolutely! As a Driving Instructor, you have complete control over all these aspects relating to your business. Can you really say you are your own boss if you are being told where and when you need to be somewhere? Unlike other major driving schools – we believe that the students we supply you are your customers to manage in entirety – meaning we do not schedule your driving lesson appointments or set your pricing whatsoever.